Friday, June 30, 2017

First Day of Labs

Hello fellow interns,

     My first day at the lab proved to be very informative. Kyndall and I received basic instruction on how to properly prepare the foraminifera.  First we had to record data on the samples which included it's weight and a very long identification number.  Each part of this code gives important information on the sample, such as the site where it was collected.  I actually liked this process and found it relaxing. I also enjoyed the sort of teamwork Kyndall and I developed while doing this task.
     The second thing that we did was wash these samples to separate the micro-fossils from the mud and sediments.
     The next day I spoke to another former intern who gave me an interesting perspective on these samples.  He told me how each sample is a record of the past, and that when you hold these samples you're holding a piece of something from thousands of years ago.  To me it sort of sounds like time travel😊.

      I am excited to see what else this experience holds for me.






No comments:

Post a Comment

ramratanlokai@gmail.com

The Sunfish by Dylan Ramrattan

I think the Sunfish look the way it does because of the barbaric environment it has to live in. The sea is a crazy place. There are differen...